Young Clerks

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream Review and Swatches

Over the next few days, I'll be uploading my scary-large collection of NYX lip products.  As far as makeup brands go, NYX might very well be my favorite.  Their prices are fantastic and their quality and pigmentation are outstanding.  And when it comes to lipsticks... oh, boy.  So many different formulations and an insane shade range.  Seriously, I could rave about this brand all day, but I'll spare you.

The first category of NYX lip products that I'll be going over are the Soft Matte Lip Creams.  First off, here's what the packaging looks like:
The product comes with a doe-foot applicator and looks very much like a lip gloss, but it's definitely not glossy.  With this product, you get an easy and precise application with the wand and a nice "lipstick" finish.  I will say, I wouldn't describe the finish as "matte."  It's not the typical "liquid lipstick" finish that you find with Stila or Kat Von D, for example.  It's more of a cream finish.  Here's a look at a few of the shades in action:

1. Cannes is described as a "Matte Muted Mauve."  For me, this is a very wearable "every-day" color, but I would describe it more as a nude.  Solid pigmentation.
2. Milan is described as "mid-tone blue-toned pink."  That's pretty spot on, really.  It's Barbie-light.  Again, good pigmentation.
3. Antwerp is described as a "mid-tone yellow-toned pink."  Mine's a tiny bit patchy, but a great color non-the-less.
4. Prague is described as a "matte merlot."  I'd describe it more as a berry.  Prague is one of my favorite lipsticks.  Ever.  The color is beautiful, the pigmentation is beautiful, and the formula is beautiful.  I would write a song about Prague, but that might be weird.
5. Transylvania is described as a "matte deep violet."  Unfortunately, this was the most disappointing shade.  I really wanted it to work, but it takes a lot of fussing with to make it look right.  It's patchy and sheer and it makes me sad.

I have my eye on, well, the rest of the shades, so I'd expect a Part 2 at some point in the future.

PS, in case you were wondering, this is what my lips look like sans goofy smile:
They're a bit uneven/crooked, but I thought it might be nice to see products swatched on some irregular (regular) lips for once.  I also wanted to prove that I'm not just applying my lipstick in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment