Young Clerks

Thursday, August 14, 2014

NYX Macaron Lippies Review and Swatches

Today's collection of NYX products are from the Macaron Lippie range.  Macarons are delicious and wonderful, but the word "lippie" is horrible.  Let's just get that straight.  This range of lipsticks caused a lot of buzz when they first came out because of their bold colors and price point, and trust me, I was not immune to the hype.  The first time around, I bought Blue Velvet, Violet and Lavender.  About a month later I bought Black Sesame, Earl Grey and Rose.  Citron, Orange Blossom and Key Lime just don't appeal to me, though Citron and Orange Blossom might work as mixing colors.  Pistachio is on the wish list and, as for Coconut and Chambord, the swatches I saw online looked pretty sheer and I already had a black lipstick that I was happy with.  But overall, I love this range.  Generally, drugstore brands don't tend to branch out to the more exciting and unconventional shades, but NYX ain't afraid.

Here's what the packaging for this product looks like:
Just a general tube lipstick.  Not a remarkably attractive or fancy looking tube, but for 6 bucks, I'm not complaining.


1.  Black Sesame is my only gray lipstick.  I had strangely high hopes for this shade, but it was a bit of a let down.  First, let me say that this color probably isn't best suited for anyone with pale skin (like me).  I saw some swatches on tanner skin tones and it looked great, but for me, I look a bit like a zombie.  Another issue I had with this lipstick was that it was a bit sheer.  As you can tell from the swatch, you can see my lip color through the lipstick and it just looks weird.  I call this lipstick my "saving up for Space Cake" lipstick.
2.  Blue Velvet is beautiful.  It's a perfect Smurf-blue color, if you're weird like me and that's something your looking for.  The opacity is great and the color is strangely wearable.  
3.  Earl Grey is a nice color, but it's a bit sheer.  If you're choosing between blues, I'd go with Blue Velvet.
4. Violet is my favorite of the bunch.  Very wearable and a beautiful color.  I'll admit that it's really the only color that I'm 100% comfortable wearing outside.  It's opacity and texture is similar to Blue Velvet's, so it's not surprising that they're my top two.
5.  Lavender is one of the sheerer shades.  I want to like it, but I find that I have to mix it with other colors to make it look good.  Also, I think that this color would look better in a matte finish.
6.  Rose is a bit sheer as well, but as far as pinks go, it's very unique.  It's a bubblegum/cotton-candy light pink.  Like Black Sesame, I think that this color would look better on a darker skin-tone.  It's such a pale color, I don't think there's enough contrast against pale skin.  But really, that's just my personal preference. 

These colors are cool and totally unique.  If you're looking for something different, then I definitely recommend trying these out.  If these colors are out of your comfort zone, I still think that they're worth getting a couple for mixing purposes.  Blue Velvet, Citron, Coconut and Chambord would all make great basic mixing colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment