Young Clerks

Monday, August 18, 2014

NYX Butter Lipstick Review and Swatches

The final group of NYX lip products that I will be reviewing for now are the Butter Lipsticks.  These lipsticks are a relatively recent addition to the range and follow NYX Butter Glosses and Butter Lip Balms.  NYX released this product in 22 different shades, so obviously, I'm slacking a bit here.  I think the reason that I've only picked up three colors so far is that the shades offered are, sadly, not very exciting.  Lots of pinks, nudes and peaches.  I might go and try out Licorice, but I'm not really in a hurry.

This is what the packaging for the product looks like:
The tubes are a similar weight and feel to the Macaron Lippies, just a standard plastic tube.  The lettering on the tubes lasted maybe 3 days in my purse before it all disappeared, which is annoying.


Now, here are my limited swatches:

1. Hunk is described as a "blue violet."  The tube is purple.  I was expecting a purple lipstick.  I got a pink.  The color is pretty, so it's not a total loss, but I was definitely disappointed.  In terms of texture, this color was also the least "buttery" of the three.  It feels a bit slippery and has a more noticeable gloss than the others.  If you're looking for a pink-leaning plum, then you might be interested in this color, otherwise, I'd say to skip it.
2.  Little Susie is described as "a deep pink with (a) yellow undertone." When these lipsticks were first announced, there was a swatch of Little Susie that made the color look rich and sophisticated.  Almost like it had a little nude to it.  The color I got certainly was not what I expected, but it has its place in my collection.  It's a much brighter color than I would usually choose, but it's pretty wearable.  It has a very slight yellow undertone, just enough to make it look a bit brighter and warmer.  I think that I'll be wearing this a bit more in the Springtime.
3.  Pops is described as a "mauve."  I'm not sure that I'd call this a mauve at all.  I sometimes wonder if cosmetics companies even know what mauve is.  It's not brown, guys.  It's a muted purple. Putting our color defining differences aside, this lipstick really is beautiful.  Of the three shades I own, Pops is definitely my favorite.  This color would be the perfect MLBB for a good range of skin tones.  It's brown, but not too brown and it's pink, but it's not bubble-gum pink.  It also has a cool undertone, which I find much easier to wear.  It's very sophisticated and rich and the texture is creamy and soft.


No comments:

Post a Comment